Tuesday, September 20, 2011

1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die

1001 albums. 1001 days.


I've always been a big music fan, but my knowledge of bands/artists has been sporadic at best.....a particular time of my life, or a memory, will make me want to listen to a certain song by a certain artist, without even considering the albums the song came from. It seems that, thanks to mp3s and iTunes, the art form that was the "album" is becoming a thing of the past for my generation, with the hit song being the only memorable piece of work by a certain artist.

When I first came across 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die, I knew that this could be an interesting way to expand my knowledge of artists throughout the decades. This starts with Frank Sinatra in 1955,  and ends with The White Stripes in 2005 (there have been revisions to the books with additional artists added, but I'll worry about that later). There are other blogs out there that review the albums contained within this book, and it is my hope that writing about these albums in the same way will keep me motivated to accomplish such a daunting task.
If I were to review one album a day, starting tomorrow, I should be finished with all 1001 albums by June 18, 2014. Think I can keep it up? It's worth a shot.......

No comments:

Post a Comment