Sunday, September 25, 2011

Louis Prima | The Wildest (1956)




Label: Capitol
Producer: Voyle Gilmore
Art Direction: Uncredited
Running Time: 32:00
 
Now THIS was a fun album to listen to. Here we have Louis Prima, a popular nightclub singer and trumpeter in the 1930s and '40s, showing the world that he still has that spark. I mean just look at the album cover, if that doesn't make you smile, I don't know what will.

This album is the kind of stuff I imagine being played in 1950s Las Vegas. The kind of brassy, big band sound that encapsulates an era for all time. That doesn't say this music is dated, however, as tracks from this album have been covered by other artists in the modern day (see below). Overall, this is a great album all-around, and I definitely had a lot of fun listening to this one.

RATING: 4 out of 5

NOTABLE TRACKS:

Just a Gigolo / I Ain't Got Nobody



Jump Jive, An' Wail



The Lip



(I'll Be Glad When You're Dead) You Rascal You



Albums Reviewed: 4
Albums Remaining: 997

No comments:

Post a Comment